Friday, October 2, 2009

Picking, Chopping, Cooking!

When I bought a tiny pepper plant last spring, it had a sticker in it that said it was a chili pepper. And that's what I wanted, but someone had put the wrong sticker in the soil and I got these jalapeno look-alike peppers instead. I'm no pepper expert, so I really don't know what kind they are. But they taste good. I picked them throughout the summer and added them to my rice and salads. The smaller ones were especially delicious, not hot at all, and perfect for salads. Yesterday, I picked the last of the peppers and the still green tomatoes. Good thing, because it was 28 degrees at six this morning and both plants had shriveled up and died in the night.





Earlier today, I decided to cook a few of the peppers and tomatoes. I chopped them up with some red onions and garlic:





Then I sauteed them in olive oil for a few minutes. When they were done, I added cooked brown rice and let it all cook for a while. And here it is:





I seasoned the dish with sesame/ginger spice. (It's called Far East Sesame Ginger Blend by McCormick; I love to add it to my food.) The result is a tasty change from everyday rice. And there is nothing like picking and eating food from your own garden....it tastes so good and you feel so satisfied, somehow, that you actually grew these things. I know my harvest was very small, but I'm happy that a few vegetables survived this hot, dry, and dusty summer.

And I learned a few things about container gardening in a desert landscape. We'll see what happens next year. I would love to have a garden in the ground, but I will need some help with digging, fencing, and such.

Today, I also said goodbye to all the petunias, marigolds, and impatients that have been such a joy this summer. I don't think they will last much longer. And I picked the last rose, just in case it may get too cold for it tonight. Here it is and that's Sindbad in the photo. He passed away a few years ago at the age of 18. He was one of the great loves of my life and I still miss him so.



LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails