Saturday, June 11, 2011

Brittle Bones and Other News From the Canyon


My plate runneth over.

Welcome two new followers: Carolina at cisnesyrosa and Terry whose blog myjourneywithcandida includes information about healthy food and supplements.

Talk about health, my friend Fran gave me this book: 



A very fun read and exactly the way I felt last year, right before my 70 th birthday. Now as number 71 approaches, I have had some setbacks -- no need to mention those again --and I'm not at all sure how I feel. I know it's a learning process, this being old business. So far I've figured out that acceptance is very important and so is cutting out the whining  I've indulged myself in during the past couple of months. For me, many other things need work: Exercising my shoulder, walking, building up my strength again, finding my misplaced energy and so on. And being creative, which may well be most important of all.


Do you see the meadow lark, balancing on top of the weed?


On Thursday, I saw the doctor and found out that I do have osteoporosis in my spine and osteopenia, the precursor to osteoporosis, in my hip joints. Both of these were in the very early stages and that's the good news. Treatment is needed and as I talked to my doctor I was reminded it has to be covered by Medicare and my Blue Cross HMO since I can't pay that last portion myself right now. I know of a few good treatments, but now I need to find out what my insurances cover. The doctor suggested Fosomax (sp?), because it is a generic taken once a week. 


After the doctor's visit, I went to the library and borrowed a lot of easy to read books. Once again, I left my camera at home, which was too bad since the raven chicks in the nest above the K in Kern County Library sat there, black, sleek, and shiny and by now fully grown, checking out a world soon to be theirs. Yesterday, my husband and I drove by and I looked over and saw that they were gone. 




Early summer has finally arrived in the canyon. This year fields everywhere are covered in yellow mustard weeds, pretty but very invasive. Come fall, their kind of dry tumble weeds will cover town and country around here. At least the cows are doing their share in keeping it down a bit. 


A fall 2009 mess.

My husband has been here for a few days and will go back to L. A. next week. The dogs are fine and less bored now that daddy is home. It's interesting how they bond to the person who rescued them. Of the three only Angel is bonded to me; the other two are so daddy's boys. 

The three rabbit babies are still alive. They come out at dusk to eat and play, chasing each other recklessly around the yard. As I watch them, I think maybe they should be more careful. But I also see that they are learning and play-acting the evasive moves that may come in handy some day. And that's about all I have to report from here in the canyon. Have a nice weekend everyone.



LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails